24 March 2011

Jogging My Memory

The weirdest thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I was attempting to clean out the dishwasher while deep in thought about other things. I pulled two items from the dishwasher, wandered around, set one of them down on a counter, and then put the other one away. I was so lost in thought that after putting the one item away, I couldn't remember what item I had set down. I scanned the counter, but everything seemed more or less in place. Unless the canning jar by the stove wasn't supposed to be there. I tried to review my movements around the kitchen, but couldn't remember if I had actually set the jar by the stove. Finally, still quite unsure, I walked over and picked up the jar. Immediately, I knew that it was the other item I had had in my hand. Why? Because of the particular noise it made when my fingers ran over it's surface.

Isn't that weird? My mind was far away from my task, yet it stored that funny rubbing noise somewhere in my head. As soon as I heard that noise, my brain recognized it, and I realized that I had been carrying the jar around previously. But why did it take that noise to jog my memory? Why did my brain remember that noise in the first place? Why couldn't it have remembered visually or sensory clues?

Anyway, the moral of the story is... Either pay attention to your task and do it right, or else don't pay attention to your task and see what funny things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment