06 April 2012

How Long?

I was wandering through the moonlight a couple nights ago. You know those power poles with the cross bar on top? It's shadow stretched across my path and caught my eye. There, in the silvery light, I saw a cross as I'd never seen one before. I wish you could have seen it too. It was ugly. It was menacing. Yet beautiful, all at the same time. Sometimes I wonder if I even begin grasp the slightest idea of the greatness of God's love.

I keep coming back to this poem ever year. :') It's so poignant.


“How long must I put up with you?” 
Jesus’ actions answered his own question . . . 

Until the rooster sings 
and the sweat stings 
and the mallet rings 
And a hillside of demons smirk at a dying God. 

How long? 
Long enough for every sin 
to soak my sinless soul 
That heaven will turn in horror 
Until my swollen lips pronounce the final transaction: 
“It is finished.” 

How long? 
Until it kills me. 

Max Lucado 
from A Love Worth Giving

2 comments: