18 June 2011

Mystery of Languages

I have a work place filled with wonderfully diverse people. Yesterday I could listen to three conversations, all in different languages!

I find languages rather fascinating. This is my favourite perspective: a conversation in a foreign language is just a string of sounds to me, but to those who understand, it is complete thoughts. 

I'm sure you have heard a conversation in a language that you don't understand. (If you haven't, I ask you, "Where have you been all your life?") Anyway, don't some words sound absolutely hilarious? How the speakers can keep a straight face? But what about with English? Good grief; pick any word, say it to yourself a couple times, and see if it doesn't sound funny.

Have you ever attempted to see what English would be like if you didn't understand it? On occasion, I have tried to do this... I try my best to block out the meanings of the words and listen only to the sounds. I have yet to succeed. My brain is wired so the thoughts always take precedence over the sounds. Now I challenge you to read this without understanding the words. Come on, view it like it's just a jumble of letters. Pretty hard, eh?

Every noticed that you understand people when they laugh? Last year, I was sitting in a McDonald's in eastern Ontario listening to a small group of people speaking French, when they all started laughing. I thought, "They're laughing in English!" Well, actually they weren't... 

No comments:

Post a Comment